When a quick and easy dessert is required, this special fruit salad is just the thing - it can be ready in 20 minutes.
Mulled fruit compote recipe | Waitrose
150ml fruit red wine, such as Merlot
50g golden granulated sugar
4 cardamom pods, split open
1 cinnamon stick
3 whole cloves
Grated zest and juice 1 orange
450g mixed red and black fruit, such as blueberries, raspberries, plums, blackberries, cherries
1 Braeburn or Cox apple, cored and sliced
3-4 tbsp LOVE Life Berry and Nut Sprinkle
- Put the wine in pan with the sugar, spices, orange zest and juice. Heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves then bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes until syrupy.
- Meanwhile, stone and slice any large fruit such as plums and halves and stone the cherries. Place the prepared fruit in a large bowl and pour over the ho syrup through a sieve. Discard the spices. You can return the cinnamon stick to the syrup if you wish. Stir the fruit to coat in the syrup then cool slightly.
- Spoon the compote into bowls and sprinkle with the berry and nut mix. Delicious served with crème fraîche and biscuit thins.
Make and cool the compote then chill for up to 24 hours before continuing from step 3. Reheat gently if you wish.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes, plus cooling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 12 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Nov 12 10:42:00 GMT 2014.