These richly filled, vegetarian bundles make a lovely addition to the Christmas dinner table or a festive buffet.
Mushroom, shallot & chestnut parcels recipe | Waitrose
- Preparation time: 25-30 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 18-20 minutes
- Total time: 45-50 minutes, plus cooling
15g Cooks' Ingredients Dried Porcini Mushrooms
4 shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
150g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
150g Portabellini mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp Madeira
2tbsp chopped fresh parsley
100g fresh, roasted nd peeled chestnuts (or 1/2 200g pack cooked chestnuts), roughly chopped
25g pine nuts, toasted
450g pack spinach, washed
2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
270g pack Jus-Rol 6 sheets filo pastry
6 long strips blanched leek, to finish (optional)
- Soak the porcini in boiling water for 15 minutes, then drain and chop. Melt 25g of the butter in a large saucepan and gently fry the shallots and garlic for 5 minutes until soft. Add all the mushrooms and cook over a high heat for 3-4 minutes until golden and just tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the Madeira, parsley, chestnuts, pine nuts and seasoning. Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Steam the spinach for 2 minutes until wilted then squeeze out any water. Melt the remaining butter. Lay a clean tea towel on the work surface. Cut the stack of pastry sheets into 6 even squares. Brush each pastry square with melted butter. Lay 6 pieces in a fanned-out circle on the tea towel. Repeat with the remaining pastry to make 6 circles.
- Spread the sun-dried tomato paste over the centre of each circle, followed by some steamed spinach on top. Spoon the mushroom mixture over the spinach. Gather up the pastry edges and pinch together firmly to seal into a pouch shape.
- Carefully lift the parcels onto a large baking sheet and brush with the remaining butter. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven then carefully tie with strips of leek like a bow.