Save to your scrapbook
Natural Kitchen Adventures - Oat & flax pancakes with frozen berries & seasonal fruit
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
40g rolled oats (gluten free if required)
10g ground flax
2 Tbs sheep (or other) yoghurt (not low fat)
3 Tbs almond milk + 1-2 Tbs extra for after the ferment
1 free-range egg
A pinch of salt
¼ tsp baking soda
Juice of ¼ lemon
½ Tbs coconut oil
A handful of frozen berries
1 Tbs sheep yoghurt
A handful of seasonal fruit, a few nuts
1. The night before, or 1hr before breakfast combine the oats with the flax in a bowl with the yoghurt and milk. Stir well and cover. Leave at room temperature in a cool dry place.
2. The next day transfer the oat mix to a food processor, and add the egg, salt, baking soda and lemon and blend into a sloppy batter. If the mix is too dense loosen with 1-2 Tbs milk, you are looking for a pourable consistency.
3. Heat ½ Tbs of coconut oil in a large wide frying pan on a medium heat, and dollop in the pancake mix, roughly a heaped Tbs of batter per pancake. Sprinkle 4-5 blueberries into each pancake, and push into the batter with the back of a spoon.
4. After 2-3 minutes the underside of the pancake should have formed a nice crust and you will be able to flip the pancake over. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, then drain on some kitchen towel while you use up the rest of the batter. You should be able to make 3 large or 4 small pancakes.
5. If you have any frozen berries left throw them in the warmed pan to defrost, while you plate up your pancake stack and drizzle with yoghurt, extra fruit, some nuts for crunch, then finally the defrosted berries. Eat straight away.
While all Waitrose recipes are tested extensively, we do not test any of the community recipes, so cannot verify the results or answer queries concerning them.
This recipe was first published in September 2015.