This dip is not a looker, but it sure has soul. Add toasted coriander or cumin seeds, if you like. It makes sense to make a large batch as it keeps in the fridge for a week, in a sterilised jar with a film of olive oil.
Olia Hercules' caramelised vegetable caviar
4-6 tbsp olive oil
1 aubergine (about 300g), diced
2 courgettes (about 300g), diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 large onion (or 150g shallots), diced
2 carrots (about 150g), coarsely grated
5 tomatoes (about 300g), coarsely grated
2 garlic cloves, finely grated
handful coriander, chopped
handful pomegranate seeds
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil each in 2 large frying pans. Divide the aubergine, courgette, pepper and onion between the pans, season and sauté until nicely caramelised, up to 30 minutes.
2. Whizz all the caramelised vegetables in a food processor, then put them back in one of the pans with the carrot and tomato pulp. Cook over a medium heat for about 1 hour, stirring from time to time, until you have a thick, dark brown paste. Add a little oil if it starts to look dry.
3. Add the garlic for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Season and serve with a slick of oil, the coriander and the pomegranate seeds, plus torn pitta breads or crudités, if liked.
This recipe first appeared in the Harvest section of Waitrose Food, July 2016 issue. Download the Waitose Food app for the full issue
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 1 rating
This recipe was first published in Fri Jul 01 13:02:00 BST 2016.