550ml whole milk
170ml double cream
130g caster sugar
6 egg yolks
¼ tsp flaky sea salt, plus extra to serve
60ml extra virgin olive oil
Olive oil ice cream
550ml whole milk
1. Heat the milk, cream and sugar in a small, heavy-based pan, stirring over a low heat until about to start simmering. Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl, using a wooden spoon. Pour in the hot milk mixture and stir immediately to combine.
2. Give the pan a quick rinse and return the mixture to the pan. Cook over a low heat, stirring continuously, for about 4-5 minutes, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Take care not to let the custard boil, or you’ll end up with sweet scrambled eggs. Remove from the heat and sieve into a large jug. Stir in the salt, cover and leave to cool, then chill for at least 3 hours.
3. Churn the custard in an ice-cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions, until thick – about 40 minutes. After 20 minutes, pour in the olive oil in a slow, steady trickle, while the ice cream continues to churn. Once churned, transfer the ice cream to a freezeproof container and freeze for at least 4 hours. (If you don’t have an ice-cream machine, freeze the cooled custard in a shallow container or tray for 2 hours, until it’s half-frozen, then whizz in a food processor until smooth. Return the mixture to the container and freeze. Repeat the process after 1 hour, adding the oil slowly while the food processor is running. Once smooth and well combined, transfer the ice cream to a freezeproof container and freeze.)
4. Remove from the freezer 10-15 minutes before serving, to soften. Serve with a little scattering of sea salt, if liked.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Food, August 2017 issue. Download the Waitrose Food app for the full issue
- Preparation time: 5 minutes, plus cooling, churning and freezing
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes, plus cooling, churning and freezing
Typical values per serving:
Per serving (6) 1778kJ
Average user rating Based on 2 ratings
This recipe was first published in Tue Aug 01 15:01:25 BST 2017.