This dairy-free orange drizzle cake contains a hint of spice, fudgy dates and ground almonds, which make it deliciously moist – perfect with a cuppa or to round off a meal.
Orange, cardamom & almond cake
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes + cooling
- Total time: 1 hour 40 minutes + cooling
Grated zest and juice of 1 large orange
250g chopped dried pitted dates
250g Flora Freedom Dairy Free
175g light muscovado sugar
4 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
250g spelt flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
10 cardamom pods, crushed to remove the seeds
100g ground almonds
2 tbsp icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 140ºC, gas mark 1. Line the base of a 21cm
loose bottomed cake tin with baking paper.
2. Set aside 2 tsp orange juice and a little of the zest then place the rest in a small saucepan with the dates and heat together for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
3. Using an electric hand whisk, beat together the Flora and light muscovado sugar in a bowl for 3-4 minutes until pale and creamy, then beat in the eggs, one at a time (add a tablespoon of flour if the mixture looks like it may curdle). Fold in the remaining flour, bicarbonate soda, cardamom seeds (discard the pods), ground almonds and a pinch of salt.
4. Stir in the cooled dates and juice and spoon the mixture into the prepared tin. Level the surface and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 30 minutes, then take out and cool on a wire rack.
5. When the cake has cooled completely, mix the reserved orange juice and zest into the icing sugar. Drizzle over the cake and serve.