Parsnips and leeks become richly flavoured and deliciously caramelised when glazed with honey. This savoury main makes a wonderful vegetarian main course.
Parsnip & leek tarte recipe | Waitrose
1 tbsp olive oil
300g medium parsnips, peeled and thickly sliced
1 large leek, thickly sliced
2 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp chopped thyme leaves
250g block Cooks' Ingredients All Butter Puff Pastry, defrosted
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Heat the oil and butter in a 23cm heavy-based flameproof gratin dish or ovenproof frying pan. Add the parsnips and leeks, cut-sides down, in a tightly packed single layer. Pour the honey and vinegar over and sprinkle with thyme. Season. Cook over a low heat for 15-18 minutes until just tender and golden brown on the base. remove fro the heat.
- Roll out the pastry thinly and cut a circle about 3cm bigger than the pan, Lift the pastry circle over the vegetables and push firmly down onto them, tucking the pastry in around the edge of the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden and cooked through.
- Leave the tarte to stand for 5 minutes then loosen around the edge with a palette knife. Place a large flat plate on top and turn out. Serve warm.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus cooling and standing
- Cooking time: 40-50 minutes
- Total time: 55 - 65 minutes, plus cooling and standing
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 20 ratings
This recipe was first published in Wed Nov 12 09:51:00 GMT 2014.