Save to your scrapbook
Peanut Butter Millionaire's Shortbread
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
150g unsalted butter
150g plain flour
50g crunchy peanut butter
100g caster sugar
175g choppeed salted roasted peanuts
75g dark brown soft sugar
50g golden syrup
100ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g dark chocolate
75g milk chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 190˚C, gas mark; grease and line a 20cm square cake tin.
2. Beat 100g softened and diced unsalted butter into plain flour, until just combined. Mix in crunchy peanut butter, 25g caster sugar and a pinch of salt; don’t over-mix.
3. Press evenly into the tin, then bake for 15 minutes, or until golden. Scatter over chopped salted roasted peanuts; set aside.
4. Next, make a caramel by heating dark brown soft sugar, golden syrup, 50g unsalted butter and double cream in a small pan over a low-medium heat. Let the sugar dissolve, then bring to the boil, stir until smooth and take off the heat.
5. Dissolve 75g caster sugar and 1-2 tbsp water in another pan over a low heat without stirring. Bring to the boil and cook to an amber-hued caramel 5 about minutes.
6. Take off the heat, carefully add the cream mixture, stir and return to the boil. Cook until it reaches 118˚C on a sugar thermometer. Immediately take off the heat; stir in tsp vanilla extract.
7. Spoon the caramel over the shortbread; cool completely. Melt dark chocolate with milk chocolate until smooth; cool for minutes.
8. Spoon over the caramel, leave to set, then cut into pieces.
This recipe was first published in Thu Sep 01 16:37:00 BST 2016.