This delicious, sweet tart is perfect as a pudding or just as good with morning coffee or afternoon tea.
Pear, white chocolate and cardamom tart
250g block Cooks' Ingredients Shortcrust Pastry, defrosted
250g tub ricotta
75g caster sugar
2 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
50g white chocolate
100ml double cream
1 tsp ground cardamom (from about 8-10 pods, seeds removed and crushed)
2 large ripe pears, peeled, cored and quartered
Icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 23cm loose-bottomed flan tin. Line with baking parchment and baking beans, then bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove the beans and parchment then return to the oven for a further 5 minutes, until golden. Remove and leave to cool completely.
- Beat the ricotta with the sugar until smooth, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Gently melt the chocolate in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water and stir into the ricotta mixture. Fold in the cream and ground cardamom.
- Arrange the pears over the base of the pastry case and pour over most of the ricotta mix. Slide the flan into the oven on a baking sheet and top up the filling from a jug. (This will avoid it spilling as you move the tart to the oven.) Bake for 10 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 170°C, gas mark 3 and continue to cool for a further 20-25 minutes until the filling is just set. Turn off the oven and leave the tart to cool completely in the oven. Chill until ready to serve. Dust with icing sugar, if you wish. Great with vanilla ice cream or cream.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time: 50-55 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes - 1 hour 10 minutes, plus cooling
Typical values per serving:
Per serving (8)
Average user rating Based on 13 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Sep 11 20:09:00 BST 2014.