The secret to great roasties is letting them steam after draining, and getting your cooking fat really hot.
Perfect roast potatoes
- Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
- Cooking time: 45-55 minutes
- Total time: 55-70 minutes
2kg floury potatoes, such as King Edward, peeled and cut into chunks
100g goose or duck fat (or 100ml sunflower or rapeseed oil)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Place a large roasting in the oven to heat up.
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil and parboil the potatoes for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and leave to steam for 5-10 minutes to lose some moisture. Meanwhile, put the goose or duck fat in the roasting tin to warm.
- Roughen the edges of the potatoes, either by scraping them with a fork or tipping them back into the pan and giving them a bit of a shake. Season lightly with salt.
- Remove the tin from the oven, tip in the potatoes and turn them over carefully until evenly coated. Make sure they have plenty of space to brown properly.
- Return to the oven and roast for 40-45 minutes until crisp and golden. Drain them on kitchen paper, season and serve.