This delicious summer salad is low in saturated fat and 1 of your 5 a day.
Pickled carrot salad
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus pickling
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes, plus pickling
4 medium carrots
250ml bottle Cooks' Ingredients Japanese Rice Vinegar
125g caster sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 star anise
1 tsp cumin seeds
100g Greek yogurt
1 Romaine lettuce
30g pumpkin seeds, toasted
30g sunflower seeds, toasted
1. Slice the carrots lengthways very thinly with a mandolin or vegetable peeler and set side. Heat the rice vinegar in a pan with the caster sugar, sea salt, fennel seeds and star anise. Bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar then remove from the heat and add the carrots. Leave to cool completely.
2. In a small frying pan, toast the cumin seeds until fragrant. Cool, then grind to a powder and stir into the yogurt.
3. Spoon a little cumin yogurt onto 4 plates and top with a couple of lettuce leaves. Remove the carrots from the pickling liquid and arrange on the lettuce, then scatter with the toasted seeds. Serve immediately with the rest of the yogurt alongside.