Starting preparations for your cocktail a day in advance might sound a bit labour intensive, but Valentine’s Day only comes once a year and the results are well worth it.
Pink grapefruit and ginger bucks fizz
1 pink grapefruit
15g fresh root ginger, thinly sliced
250g caster sugar
chilled champagne or sparkling wine
1. Pare the grapefruit peel using a vegetable peeler, trying your best to avoid any white pith (use a knife to remove any pith that remains) and set aside the grapefruit. Slice the peel into 0.5cm strips and put in a small pan with the ginger. Add 200g sugar and 300ml cold water and heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 15 minutes, then strain over a small jug to collect the syrup; cool, cover and chill.
2. Meanwhile, arrange the warm candied strips of grapefruit and ginger in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with the remaining 50g sugar and set aside to dry overnight.
3. To make the cocktails, squeeze 100ml juice from the reserved grapefruit into a jug and mix with 3 tbsp of the syrup. Divide between 2 champagne flutes, topping each up with fizz. Serve garnished with some of the crystallised grapefruit peel and ginger.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus drying
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes, plus drying
Serves: 2 with leftovers
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sun Feb 01 16:16:07 GMT 2015.