Starting preparations for your cocktail a day in advance might sound a bit labour intensive, but Valentine’s Day only comes once a year and the results are well worth it.
Pink grapefruit and ginger bucks fizz
- Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus drying
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes, plus drying
Serves: 2 with leftovers
1 pink grapefruit
15g fresh root ginger, thinly sliced
250g caster sugar
chilled champagne or sparkling wine
1. Pare the grapefruit peel using a vegetable peeler, trying your best to avoid any white pith (use a knife to remove any pith that remains) and set aside the grapefruit. Slice the peel into 0.5cm strips and put in a small pan with the ginger. Add 200g sugar and 300ml cold water and heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer for 15 minutes, then strain over a small jug to collect the syrup; cool, cover and chill.
2. Meanwhile, arrange the warm candied strips of grapefruit and ginger in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with the remaining 50g sugar and set aside to dry overnight.
3. To make the cocktails, squeeze 100ml juice from the reserved grapefruit into a jug and mix with 3 tbsp of the syrup. Divide between 2 champagne flutes, topping each up with fizz. Serve garnished with some of the crystallised grapefruit peel and ginger.