These delicious chocolate truffles make a delicious edible gift. They're also perfect served after dinner with strong coffee.
Plain chocolate truffles
- Preparation time: 30 minutes, plus 2½ hours cooling and setting time
- Total time: 3 hours
Makes: 45-65 truffles
225g Waitrose Organic Plain Chocolate, broken into button-sized pieces
175ml double or whipping cream
Icing sugar, cocoa powder or finely chopped nuts, for dusting and rolling
- Cover a large, heavy chopping board or a baking tray tightly and completely with clingfilm or waxed paper to place the truffles on to set.
- Place the chocolate in a large mixing bowl at least 1.75 litres in capacity. In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a rolling boil and immediately pour over the broken chocolate. Blend thoroughly until all the chocolate is melted.
- Allow the mixture, called a ganache, to cool completely, uncovered, for 1-1½ hours at room temperature until it is set. (You can speed up this process by placing the bowl in a sink filled with cold water - but don't allow any of the water to come into contact with the ganache.)
- When the mixture has set, use a teaspoon to spoon out bite-sized pieces. Dust your hands lightly with icing sugar to prevent them sticking and roll the pieces into balls in the palms of your hands.
- Immediately roll the truffles in sifted cocoa powder, icing sugar or finely chopped nuts and place on the prepared tray to set.