This hearty family stew is easy to prepare and ideal for freezing, making a great standby meal.
Pork and Cider Casserole with Cranberry and Thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 500g packs Waitrose British Diced Pork Leg
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 400g shallots, peeled and halved
- 500ml Waitrose Vintage French Cider
- 300ml hot chicken stock
- ½ x 195g jar Waitrose Cranberry Sauce
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Roll the pork in the flour, then brown in the pan for 5-8 minutes, turning regularly – you may find it easier to do this in batches.
- Stir in the shallots, cider, stock, cranberry sauce and thyme sprigs. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer very gently for 1 hour.
- Remove the lid and continue to simmer for 30-45 minutes until the liquid has slightly thickened and reduced – there should still be quite a lot of liquid. Season lightly. Serve with 2 x 200g packs Waitrose Red Cabbage and lightly steamed broccoli spears.
To make it easier to peel shallots, place in hot water for 2-3 minutes to soften, then plunge into cold water to cool slightly. This dish can be cooled, then frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge and reheat gently until piping hot.
Serve this succulent stew with one of its principal ingredients, Vintage French Cider a smooth and refreshing accompaniment.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 120 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 34 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sun Apr 01 01:00:00 BST 2007.