You can cook this dish ahead and reheat on the day just before serving.
Port-braised spiced red cabbage
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Total time: around 2 hours
50g unsalted butter
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 red cabbage, quartered and finely shredded
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 2cm cubes
5 tbsp demerara or caster sugar
100ml red wine vinegar
100ml ruby port
2 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
2 blades mace
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4. Melt the butter in a large, lidded flameproof casserole dish then add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, stir well and cook for 10 minutes until bubbling. Cover and place in the oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until meltingly soft.