Celeriac has a subtle, nutty flavour that blends well with potatoes. This gratin also makes a warming, meat-free main course served with salad and cheese.
Potato and Celeriac Gratin
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 75 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes
Serves: 6 - 8
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 75g softened butter
- 900g even-sized medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ tsp Waitrose Select Ground Nutmeg
- 500g celeriac, peeled, cut into quarters and thinly sliced
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 450ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 1½ tbsp single cream
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Rub the cut sides of the garlic over a medium-sized gratin dish. Grease the dish with a little of the butter.
- Arrange half the potatoes in the dish, overlapping the slices a little. Season and sprinkle with the nutmeg. Arrange half the celeriac over the potatoes and season again. Sprinkle with half the shallots, then dot with half the butter and pour over half the stock.
- Repeat the layers with the remaining celeriac, potatoes and shallots, seasoning well after each layer. Dot with half the remaining butter and pour the rest of the stock over.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until the potatoes and celeriac are tender. If the dish looks dry, moisten with a few tbsp hot water. Turn the heat to 220°C, gas mark 7.
- Drizzle with the cream, dot with remaining butter and season. Return to the oven for a further 12-15 minutes, or until bubbling and golden. Serve warm rather than piping hot.