Celebrate the age-old English tradition of potted seafood, by combining the tender, sweet flesh of Cromer crab with sherry, herbs and lemon juice.
Potted Cromer Crab with Wholegrain Toast
- 225g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp dry sherry
- ½ tsp ground mace
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 dressed Cromer crabs, from the fish service counter
- ½ x 15g pack fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 8 slices wholegrain bread, toasted
- Lemon wedges
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, then remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly. Carefully pour off the clarified butter into a clean saucepan, discarding the milky white residue left behind. Add the sherry, mace and cayenne pepper to the clarified butter and heat gently for 2 minutes.
- Scoop the dressed crab meat into a bowl and stir in the chives, lemon juice, a small pinch of salt and a little freshly ground black pepper. Reserve 4 tablespoons of the clarified butter and stir the rest into the crab mixture.
- Divide the mixture between 4 small ramekins (about 150ml) and spoon the reserved clarified butter over. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour, or until the butter has set. Remove from the fridge 20 minutes before serving. Serve with slices of warm wholegrain toast and lemon wedges.
Substitute 200g small cooked prawns for the crab to make potted prawns, if you prefer.
Cromer crabs deserve an English wine.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 8 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu May 01 01:00:00 BST 2008.