Creamy polenta with a golden crust is perfect with seasonal greens and a spicy tomato sauce.
Purple sprouting broccoli on polenta
- Preparation time: 15 minutes plus cooling
- Cooking time: 25 minutes plus cooling
2 tbsp essential Waitrose olive oil, plus extra for greasing
75g quick cook polenta
1⁄2 tsp salt
20g essential Waitrose unsalted butter
20g essential Waitrose parmigiano reggiano, grated, plus extra shavings to serve
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
4-6 tomatoes, roughly chopped
pinch dried chilli flakes
180g purple sprouting broccoli
30g sliced black olives
1. Lightly oil a loaf tin. Bring 375ml water to a boil in a small pan. Add the polenta and salt. Stir over a low-medium heat for 6-8 minutes, then stir in the butter and parmesan until melted. Scrape into the loaf tin so that the polenta is about 1.5cm deep. Smooth the surface with a spatula; leave to cool for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a small pan with the garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook on a low heat for 3 minutes, then turn up the heat and cook until the garlic takes on a little colour. Add the tomatoes and chilli and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it’s saucy. Season and add a pinch of sugar, if needed.
3. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Cut the cooled polenta into wedges and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, until crisp and golden. Meanwhile, steam the broccoli until just tender. Divide the polenta between plates, top with the broccoli and a generous spoonful of sauce. Sprinkle with the olives and some extra shavings of parmesan, before serving.