This delicious jam is a perfect foil for roast beef, cheeses such as cheddar, and cold cuts. It is also delicious with Rachel Allen's mini Yorkshire puddings recipe.
Rachel Allen's onion jam
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 65 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Makes: 1 large jar
700g red onions, peeled, finely sliced
150g caster sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
100ml balsamic vinegar
250ml full-bodied red wine
2 tbsp cassis
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on a medium heat, until it becomes a deep nut-brown colour – be careful not to let it burn.
- Add the onions, sugar, salt and pepper; stir well. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the onions are completely soft and caramelised.
- Add the vinegar, wine and cassis. Cook, uncovered, for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into a serving bowl to use immediately, or put into a sterilised jar. Serve with Rachel Allen's mini Yorkshire puddings.