I like this with couscous in the autumn, but you could eat it with buttery mashed potatoes or some wild rice if you prefer. You could even add a little cocoa to the pot to give an extra dimension to this magnificently rich sauce. Serve with a wedge of lime, steamed green vegetables and a dollop of crème fraîche.
Rioja pot roast chicken
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 8 Garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 60g Chorizo sausage, skinned and diced
- 1 Chicken stock cube
- 250ml Rioja wine
- 400g tin Chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp Dark muscovado sugar
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Whole dried red chillies
- 1 Large chicken (about 2kg)
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/gas 4. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, until slightly browned and softened. Add the chorizo and cook for about 4 minutes, then crumble in the stock cube. Stir well to combine.
- Transfer this mixture to a 2.5-litre lidded casserole pot in which the chicken can sit comfortably. Stir the wine, tomatoes, sugar, bay leaf and chillies into the onion mixture. Place the chicken on top, put the lid on and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the lid, brush the chicken with 1 tbsp olive oil and season the skin. Return it to the oven and cook, uncovered, for 1 hour more, or until golden.
- Carefully lift out the chicken, draining all the juices from inside the cavity back into the pot, and place on a board to rest before carving.
- Remove the dried chillies and bay leaf, then ladle the sauce from the pot into a pan and bring to the boil. Continue to cook until reduced by half. Carve the chicken and pour some of the sauce over each portion.
This rich sauce will be all the better with a good rioja to sip – during both cooking and eating! This tempranillo is velvety smooth. Beronia Tempranillo Elaboración Especial 2006 Rioja, Spain. Bin 566868; £9.99.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 140 minutes
- Total time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 31 ratings
This recipe was first published in Sun Nov 01 00:00:00 GMT 2009.