Tip - Save the carcass and leftover meat to make the Chicken & Rice soup recipe, also available on waitrose.com
Roast chicken with apple stuffing
1 medium essential Waitrose British Chicken
50g butter, softened
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp thyme leaves
300g pack frozen British Bramley Apple Slices
200g Hovis Seed Sensations Soft Granary Batch Bread, made into breadcrumbs
½ chicken stock cube (reserve the rest for the soup as per tip above)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6.
2. Place the chicken in a roasting tin, loosen the skin around the breasts with your finger, taking care not to tear the skin. Mix together the butter and mustard and spread under the skin. Roast for 1½ hours until thoroughly cooked, there is no pink meat and the juices run clear.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and thyme for 3-4 minutes. Add the apples and cook, covered for 5 minutes. Stir in the breadcrumbs and cook for 1 minute. Dissolve the stock cube with 100ml boiling water and add to the pan, season and transfer to an ovenproof serving dish. Add to the oven 20 minutes before the end of the chicken’s cooking time.
4. Serve the chicken and stuffing with roast potatoes, parsnips, gravy and vegetables.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 90 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 3 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 22 11:21:00 GMT 2015.