Once cooked, spread the sweet garlic on crusty bread and use to mop up the juices from the roast.
Roast chicken with charred lemons and parsley relish
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus resting
- Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes, plus resting
1.2kg essential Waitrose British chicken
2 tbsp olive oil
½ x 15g pack oregano
2 garlic bulbs, separated into cloves, unpeeled
½ cucumber, deseeded and finely chopped
1 green pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 green chilli, finely sliced
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
25g pack flat leaf parsley, stalks chopped, leaves torn
25g pack basil, leaves torn
25g pack mint, leaves torn
100g essential Waitrose feta cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6; take the bird out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. Rub with the olive oil; season. Halve 2 lemons and place, cut-side up, in a roasting tray; lay the chicken on top. Put the oregano and garlic in the cavity, then squeeze over the juice of the remaining lemon. Roast for 1 hour-1 hour 15 minutes, basting regularly, until no pink meat remains and the juices run clear. Cover with foil and rest for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, mix the remaining ingredients to make a relish; season. Carve the bird and serve with the lemons and relish; spoon over any juices.