Pop the breaded goats’ cheese into the freezer before cooking to ensure that it doesn’t melt completely when you fry it. And be sure to use the smaller, firmer goats’ cheese, as opposed to the soft variety.
Roasted beetroot and carrot with warm goats' cheese cakes
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus freezing
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes, plus freezing
2 raw medium beetroot, quartered
4 essential Waitrose carrots, halved lengthways
2 tbsp essential Waitrose olive oil
1 essential Waitrose egg, beaten
50g dried breadcrumbs
2 x 100g essential Waitrose English goats’ cheese
130g bag rocket, watercress and spinach salad
4 tbsp pecans or almonds, toasted and chopped
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp finely chopped shallot
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. On a baking tray, drizzle the beetroot and carrots with 1 tbsp oil; season. Cover with foil; roast for 15 minutes, then 10-15 minutes without foil, until golden.
2. Meanwhile, place the egg and breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Slice the goats’ cheeses in half widthways to make 4 small rounds. Dip the cheese rounds in the egg and cover well in the breadcrumbs, then chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.
3. Put all the dressing ingredients in a screw-top jar; season. Seal, shake well and set aside. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan and fry the chilled goats’ cheese for about 1 minute on each side, until golden and starting to melt and become gooey.
4 Divide the salad between 4 plates, top with the vegetables, goats’ cheese and nuts, and drizzle with the dressing.