Showcasing charred, slightly smoky roast broccoli, with bursts of fresh lemon and mint, our cover recipe makes for a simple but hugely comforting supper.
Roasted broccoli, almond and mint soup
100g blanched almonds, 75g soaked overnight in cold water
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a drizzle to serve
6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
500ml fresh vegetable stock
1 lemon, zest, and juice of ½
large handful mint leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Cut the broccoli florets into medium-sized chunks and the core into 1cm pieces. Toss with the 25g unsoaked almonds, oil and garlic; season. Spread over a parchment-lined baking tray; roast for 15-18 minutes, until the broccoli is tender but still green in places. Meanwhile, bring the stock to the boil with 750ml water.
2. Reserve the roasted almonds and a few of the charred florets. Peel the roasted garlic, drain the 75g soaked almonds and put both in a blender with the rest of the broccoli, the lemon juice, the zest and most of the mint. Pour over the hot stock and blend for 2-3 minutes, until smooth; you may need to do this in batches.
3. Season and loosen with extra water, if needed, until the consistency of double cream. Divide between bowls and scatter over the reserved broccoli, mint leaves, roasted almonds and remaining lemon zest. Finish each bowl with a drizzle of oil.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus soaking
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes, plus soaking
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 36 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 01 14:04:00 GMT 2015.