Ruth Rogers is a chef at and co-founder of the River Café.
Ruth Rogers' patate e finocchida Lucca (roast potatoes and fennel from Lucca)
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes
2 fennel bulbs
750g waxy potatoes (such as charlotte), peeled and cut into 1cm slices
1 tsp fennel seeds
½ tsp chilli flakes or 1 fresh chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 red onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, whole but lightly crushed
3 bay leaves
6 thyme sprigs
2 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked
100ml white wine
5 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Discard the outer layer of the fennel. Cut the bulbs into 1cm slices; reserve the fronds. Blanch in boiling, salted water for 5 minutes; drain and mix well with the remaining ingredients.
2. Spread everything about 2 slices deep in a roasting tin and cover tightly with foil; bake for 25 minutes. Uncover; turn the potatoes to slightly crush them. Bake for 30-40 minutes more, until crisp and golden on top. Scatter over the fronds to serve.