Ruth Rogers is a chef at and co-founder of the River Café.
Ruth Rogers' Sformato di spinaci e porcini (Baked spinach and porcini)
- Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus soaking
- Cooking time: 50 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes, plus soaking
900g spinach, tough stalks discarded
20g dried porcini, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes
3 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
200ml double cream
30g grated parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Blanch the spinach in boiling, salted water for 3 minutes. Drain, squeeze out the excess water and roughly chop.
2. Drain the porcini, reserving the liquid, and roughly chop. Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan; add the garlic. Soften for 2 minutes, then add the porcini. Fry gently for 10 minutes, adding a little of the soaking liquid as necessary to keep it moist.
3. Beat the eggs, cream and cheese together. Season, stir in the porcini and spinach and pour into a baking dish not less than 4cm deep. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden.