Save to your scrapbook
Rye & almond milk pancakes with crispy bacon
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
150g dark rye flour, or a mixture of dark and white rye flour
1½ tsp baking powder
175ml almond milk or skimmed milk
2 tbsp maple syrup, plus extra to serve
4 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range
6 rashers streaky bacon, halved lengthways
Spray olive oil (x 10 sprays)
1. Place the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the milk, maple syrup and egg yolks.
2. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until forming stiff peaks. Gradually add the whites to the flour mixture, folding in gently between each addition.
3. Place the bacon on a foil-lined grill pan. Put under a preheated grill for 4-5 minutes until crispy. Drain on kitchen paper.
4. Meanwhile, warm a large non-stick frying pan sprayed with oil over a high heat.
5. Cook spoonfuls of pancake batter to make 12cm x 10cm rounds, cooking for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden. Keep warm while preparing the rest. Serve the pancakes with the bacon and extra maple syrup to drizzle over.
Typical values per serving:
1.8mg zinc/ 4mg niacin per serving.
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 05 16:13:00 GMT 2017.