This soup is a delicate colour but full of flavour. Serve in small bowls or little cups so it’s not too rich before the main.
Salad onion soup with parmesan scones
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
1 small celeriac, about 450g
4 bunches salad onions
25g salted butter
2 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1 litre vegetable stock
200ml tub Waitrose Crème Fraîche
For the parmesan scones:
125g self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
25g salted butter, plus extra to grease
50g freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
75ml milk, plus extra to glaze
- Cut away the skin from the celeriac and slice the flesh into small chunks. Trim and thinly slice the salad onions, keeping the green tips separate.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the white parts of the salad onions and the cumin. Fry gently for 5 minutes, then add the thyme, stock and celeriac. Bring just to the boil and cover with a lid. Reduce the heat and cook very gently for 10–15 minutes until the celeriac is tender.
- While cooking, make the scones. Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Grease a baking sheet. Put the flour and baking powder in a food processor. Add the butter, cut into small pieces, and blend. Add all but 2 tbsp of the cheese and the milk and blend to a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to a 14cm square. Trim off the edges and cut the pastry square into 4 even strips. Then cut across 4 times to make 16 squares. Transfer to the baking sheet, brush with milk and sprinkle with the reserved cheese. Bake for about 10 minutes or until risen and golden.
- Reserve 2 tbsp of the chopped green ends of the salad onions and add the remainder to the pan. Cook for 2–3 minutes until softened. Tip the mixture into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. (Or leave in the saucepan and use a hand-held blender). Return to the pan and stir in 50ml of the crème fraîche. Heat through gently and season to taste.
- Spoon into small bowls and add a spoonful of crème fraîche to each bowl. Scatter with the reserved onions and serve with Parmesan scones.