2 tbsp olive oil
2kg Aberdeen Angus beef bone in
shin slices (from the service counter)
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp smoked sweet paprika
90g jar Cooks’ Ingredients Chipotle Paste
2 tbsp light brown soft sugar
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
250ml beef stock
400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 x 335g packs 8 corn tortillas, warmed
2 ripe avocados, cut into chunks
1 large red chilli, finely sliced
28g pack coriander
8 tbsp soured cream
Lime wedges, to serve
Slow-braised chilli beef
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 4 hours 40 minutes
- Total time: 4 hours 50 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C, gas mark 2. Warm half of the oil in a large casserole or saucepan over a high heat. Season the beef and cook, in batches, until browned. Set aside.
2. Add the remaining oil to the pan with the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the paprika and chipotle paste, then return the beef to the pan with the sugar, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil.
3 Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook in the oven for 4 hours, until the meat is tender and the sauce reduced. Remove from the oven. Using tongs, discard any large pieces of fat and the bones from the beef, leaving any marrow from the middle of each bone behind in the pan. Stir vigorously to break up the meat into small pieces. Mix in the beans.
4. Return to the oven, uncovered, and cook for a further 30 minutes, or until thickened. Leave to rest for 15 minutes, then season and serve with the warmed tortillas topped with avocado chunks, chilli, coriander and soured cream, plus the lime wedges to squeeze over.