1 bunch salad onions
1 red chilli
250g bulgar wheat
25g pack fresh flat-leaf parsley
25g pack fresh mint
Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
5 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp ground cinnamon
200g pack feta
2-3 tbsp toasted pine nuts
Spiced aubergine tabouleh salad
1. Trim the aubergine and cut into 6mm-thick slices. Layer them in a colander set over a plate, sprinkle with a little salt and leave while preparing the tabouleh.
2. Trim the salad onions and finely slice. Chop the tomatoes and cucumber into 6mm dice. Deseed and finely dice the chilli. Mix together in a bowl, sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt and leave to stand.
3. Place the bulgar wheat in a pan with 400ml cold water. Cover and bring to the boil, then simmer for 6 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed. Meanwhile, finely chop the parsley and the mint leaves. Add the salad vegetables and their juices to the bulgar with the herbs, lemon zest and juice. Stir well and leave for a few minutes.
4. Rinse the aubergine slices and dry thoroughly on a clean tea towel. Heat a large frying pan, add the oil and aubergine with the cinnamon and cook in batches for 5-8 minutes, turning often, until the slices are browned and tender. Try to resist adding more oil as the aubergine will start to yield the oil back as it cooks.
5. Dice the feta and stir into the tabouleh, then turn out onto a serving platter. Top with the aubergine slices and pine nuts. Serve immediately, with extra lemon for squeezing over, if you wish.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
Typical values per serving:
9.1g fibre 17.9g protein
Average user rating Based on 12 ratings
This recipe was first published in Tue Mar 11 16:32:50 GMT 2014.