Sometimes you just want a simple, buttery biscuit, something that's going to hit the spot with a cup of tea - well, here it is. No fuss, no fancy icing or trickery - just good, honest dunkers.
Spiced Easter biscuits
225g unsalted butter, softened
175g golden caster sugar, plus 3 tbsp for sprinkling
1⁄2 lemon, zest
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
350g plain flour, plus extra to roll
1⁄2 tsp baking powder
11⁄2 tsp mixed spice
1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
good pinch of ground cloves
50g ground almonds
50g chopped mixed peel
1. Use electric beaters to cream together the butter and 175g golden caster sugar for 3-4 minutes, until pale and fluffy. Beat in the lemon zest, egg and egg yolk. Sift in the flour, baking powder, spices and a good pinch of salt, then add the remaining ingredients. Mix until it forms a smooth ball. Flateen into a disc, wrap in cling film and chill for 2 hours, until firm.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out 1⁄2 the dough to 0.3cm thick. Using a 7cm cutter, stamp out biscuits from the dough and arrange on parchment-lined baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough.
3. Sprinkle the biscuits with 3 tbsp sugar and bake, a tray at a time, in the middle of the oven for 10-12 minutes until crisp. Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes, plus chilling
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes, plus chilling
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 13 ratings
This recipe was first published in Tue Feb 09 16:53:00 GMT 2016.