This delicious combination of creamy sauce with sweet and smoky paprika makes the most of in-season potatoes and greens
Spiced wedges with cheesy baby leaf greens
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 50 minutes
4 large baking potatoes, cut into wedges
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 x 200g packs Waitrose Baby Leaf Greens
1 onion, finely chopped
25g plain flour
300ml semi-skimmed milk
60g mature Cheddar, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Place the potato wedges in a large bowl with 1 tbsp of the olive oil, the smoked paprika and some seasoning and toss until evenly coated. Spread the wedges out onto a baking sheet so they sit in a single layer. Bake for 30-35 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, until crisp and golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, remove the tough central stalks from the baby greens then finely shred the leaves. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan. Fry the onion over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, then add the shredded greens and fry for 4–5 minutes more.
3. Place the butter, flour and milk in a medium saucepan. Over a moderate heat and whisking continuously, heat the sauce through until thick and smooth. Finally, stir through the cheese and season.
4. Fold the greens through the sauce and cook for a further couple of minutes to warm through. Serve alongside the wedges.