Save to your scrapbook
Spiced fruit salad with mascarpone cream
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
375ml bottle white dessert wine
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
1 red chilli, halved lengthways
1 ½ tbsp dark brown soft sugar
100ml double cream
1 tbsp caster sugar
3 conference pears, peeled, quartered and cored
3 clementines, peeled and halved
3 figs, quartered
1 x ½ pomegranate, seeds
12 almond cantuccini
1. Pour the wine into a heavy-based saucepan with the spices, chilli and 150ml water. Bring to the boil, then set aside for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the mascarpone cream. Whisk the dark brown soft sugar into the mascarpone and slowly pour in the cream, beating gently, until smooth. Cover and chill.
3. Bring the wine and spices back to a gentle simmer, then add the caster sugar. Place the pears and clementines in the liquid. The fruit should be completely submerged, so add more water if necessary. Simmer very gently for 10 minutes, until the pears are almost tender.
4. Add the figs and pomegranate seeds, remove from the heat and stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Taste and add a little more sugar if needed.
5. Transfer the fruit with its liquor to a serving bowl; serve warm accompanied by the mascarpone cream and the almond cantuccini.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in December 2011.