This recipe couldn’t be simpler and makes a healthy choice for lunch or dinner as it's low in saturated fat and gives you 2 of your 5-a-day.
Spicy wholegrain bowl with tomato & avocado
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
½ tbsp olive oil
1 medium free range egg, beaten
240g pouch Seeds Of Change Organic Quinoa
& Wholegrain Rice
400g can essential Waitrose Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1–2 tsp harissa paste
1 ripe baby avocado, skinned and diced
2 salad onions, chopped
Juice of ½ lime
2 tbsp coriander leaves
1. Heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan. Add the egg and cook for a minute, scrambling until set. Tip out onto a plate.
2. Add a splash more oil to the pan and stir-fry the quinoa and rice mix, chickpeas, tomatoes and harissa paste for 4–5 minutes until piping hot. Stir the cooked egg back in.
3. Meanwhile, roughly mash together the avocado, salad onion, lime juice and 1 tsp olive oil.
4. Divide the spicy grain and egg mixture between two bowls. Spoon the mashed avocado on top, scatter with coriander leaves and serve warm.
Save any leftover grain and egg mix to make a hash for breakfast or lunch. Simply serve alongside cold cuts, green leafy salad or your favourite grilled meat or fish.