These vegetarian tarts make a perfect main course for a Valentine's menu or other meal for 2.
Spinach, mushroom and quail's egg tarts
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- Total time: 45-50 minutes
3 quail's eggs
100g pack baby spinach
1/2 x 250g block Cooks' Ingredients All Butter Puff Pastry, defrosted
1 shallot, finely chopped
100g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
1 large tomato, seeds removed and flesh chopped
15g Cooks' Ingredients Toasted Pine Nuts
15g butter, melted
Beaten egg, to glaze
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Put the quail's eggs in a pan of boiling water and simmer for exactly 2 minutes, until soft boiled. Drain and run under cold water, then peel and set aside. Steam the spinach for 2 minutes until wilted then squeeze out any water.
- Roll out the pastry to a rectangle about 15 x 30cm, then cut in half to make 2 squares and place on a baking sheet. Score a line about 1cm in from the edge around each one.
- Mix the spinach with the shallot, mushrooms, tomato, pine nuts and melted butter. Season generously. Place half of the mixture in the centre of each square, inside the border. Chill until needed, or for up to 3 hours.
- Brush the pastry border with beaten egg and bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden. Cut the quail's eggs in half and place on top of the tarts. Serve immediately with steamed green vegetables, such as tenderstem broccoli, and warm Waitrose Hollandaise Sauce.