- 250g bag spinach, rinsed
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 75g Long Clawson Creamy Blue Stilton, crumbled
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 420g can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg
- ¼ - ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
Spinach Patties with Blue Cheese Butter
- Preparation time: 20 minutes plus chilling
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes plus chilling
- Prepare and light the barbecue. Wilt the spinach in a covered pan for 2-3 minutes, drain thoroughly and leave to cool. Meanwhile, make the blue cheese butter. Beat together 75g of the butter with the cheese, to form a smooth paste. Shape into a log and roll in baking parchment paper, then chill until required.
- Fry the onions in the remaining butter for about 10 minutes or until very soft, add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Meanwhile, blend the butter beans in a food processor to a paste, add the egg, nutmeg and seasoning. Blend until combined, tip into a bowl and mix with the onion mixture. Squeeze the moisture out of the spinach, then roll it up in kitchen paper and squeeze again. Discard the paper and add the spinach to the bowl. Mix everything together well. Divide into 6 even-sized flat cakes. Chill until ready to cook
- Brush the patties on both sides with oil. Barbecue for about 6-8 minutes until golden, turning them halfway through cooking. Serve topped with the sliced blue cheese butter.