What could be more comforting to come home to than a bowl of spiced rice, topped with soft-boiled eggs?
Spring green vegeree with soft eggs and cashews
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 essential Waitrose onion, chopped
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
300g essential Waitrose basmati rice
2 heaped tsp medium curry powder
500ml fresh vegetable stock, heated
1 tbsp mango chutney, plus extra to serve
4 essential Waitrose eggs
1⁄2 x 500g pack essential Waitrose spring greens, larger stalks removed, leaves shredded
1 red chilli, thinly sliced
handful cashew nuts, toasted
1. Melt the butter in a large pan, add the onion, cinnamon and bay, season and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion starts to soften. Meanwhile, rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
2. Stir the curry powder into the onion, cook for 1 minute, then add the drained rice, stock and chutney; season. Bring to the boil, stir, then simmer gently, covered, for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, simmer the eggs in a separate pan of boiling water for 6-7 minutes. Cool briefly in cold water, then peel.
4. After 10 minutes, pile the greens on the rice. Season, re-cover the pan, then turn off the heat and leave for 10 minutes. Fluff up with a fork and top with the halved eggs, chilli and nuts.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes, plus standing
Serves: 3 - 4
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 1 rating