Hot and inviting - a saucy steamed lemon sponge with lemon curd cream.
Steamed Lemon Sponge with Lemon Curd Cream
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 hours
- Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 4 tbsp Waitrose Luxury Lemon Curd
- 50g butter, softened
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 50g self-raising flour
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 5 tbsp Waitrose Extra Thick Double Cream For Spooning
- Take a 300ml plastic pudding basin with a tight-fitting lid and butter the base. Add 2 tablespoons of the lemon curd. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar, egg and flour with a wooden spoon until pale and fluffy. Add the lemon zest and mix well. Pour into the prepared pudding basin and cover.
- Fill a pan with boiling water and place over the heat. When it has come back to the boil, place the pudding in a steamer on top of the pan. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to a steady simmer. Steam for 55 minutes-1 hour, or until the sponge springs back when pressed. Remove from the heat and turn out onto a serving dish immediately. The lemon curd at the bottom becomes the sauce.
- While the pudding cools a little, swirl the remaining lemon curd into the cream and spoon this over the hot sponge.