Perfect for Christmas Day, or other special occasions, this delicious recipe works perfectly with its apple sauce accompaniment.
Stuffed roast goose with rosemary-scented apple
1kg floury potatoes, such as King Edward, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
2 medium onions, finely chopped
5 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
2 tbsp Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients Wild Rosemary, plus an extra tsp for the sauce
5.6-6.6kg Traditionally Reared Free Range Goose, giblets removed
50g caster sugar
1. Place the potatoes in a pan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until tender. Drain. Place half the butter in a large frying pan over a low heat. Fry the onions and 2 of the chopped apples for 4-5 minutes, until soft.
2. Add 2 tbsp wild rosemary, season, then stir in the cooked potatoes. Fill the small neck cavity of the goose with the stuffing. Secure with metal skewers. Place any leftover stuffing in an ovenproof dish to cook separately.
3. Using the pack instructions, weigh the stuffed goose to calculate the cooking time and preheat the oven accordingly. Place the goose on a metal rack over a large roasting tin and cook. Add the dish of the remaining stuffing to cook for the final 30-40 minutes, or until piping hot and cooked through. Check the goose is thoroughly cooked with no pink meat visible.
5. For the apple sauce, place the remaining apples, butter, rosemary and the sugar, plus 150ml cold water, in a medium-size pan and simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until the apples are soft. Keep warm until ready to serve. Remove the stuffing from the cavity. Carve the goose and serve with the apple sauce.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 3.5 hours plus resting time
- Total time: 4 hours plus resting time
Typical values per serving:
28.4g protein, 3.4g fibre
Average user rating Based on 9 ratings