You can make this pudding up to three days in advance. Keep chilled in the fridge.
Summer Pudding 2
- Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus at least 4 hours chilling time
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 4 hours 40 minutes
- 375g raspberries
- 125g redcurrants, stalks removed
- 125g blackcurrants, stalks removed
- 125g blueberries
- 150g strawberries, hulled and halved
- 75g golden caster sugar, plus 25g to taste
- 1 good quality white loaf, one day old, cut into 1cm-wide slices, crusts removed
- In a colander, rinse the berries with cold water. Reserve some berries for decoration and place the rest in a pan with 75g of the sugar. Bring to a simmer, then cook over a low heat for 5-6 minutes until the sugar has dissolved and the blueberries and redcurrants have just burst. Remove from the heat and add more sugar to taste. Place a colander over a bowl and strain the berries, reserving the juice and berries.
- Cut out a circle of bread to fit the base of a 1-litre pudding basin and cut another 2 slices in half diagonally for the lid. Cut the remaining slices in half to form rectangles. Take the piece for the base and dip one side in the berry juices, then press firmly, juice-side down, into the basin. Repeat with the other slices, pressing firmly into the sides, overlapping slightly. Patch any holes.
- Fill the basin with berries, reserving some for the sauce. Press down firmly with the back of a spoon and pour over some of the reserved juice to saturate. Dip both sides of the lid pieces in juice and seal the pudding.
- Place the basin in a large bowl to catch any overflowing juices, then cover with a plate and weigh it down firmly. Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Place the remaining berries and juice in a pan with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes until syrupy. Cool, then chill until ready to use.
- Remove the pudding from the fridge and turn out onto a large rimmed plate. Pour the sauce over, place a handful of fresh berries on top and serve with cream.