- 4 globe artichokes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves green garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch salad onions, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 225g shelled young broad beans
- 40g butter
- 2 mini organic cucumbers, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 3 Little Gem lettuce hearts, quartered
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A pinch finely chopped summer savoury (optional)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chervil
Summer Vegetable Ragout
- Put the artichokes in a pan of boiling salted water with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Cook for 40 minutes or until a leaf comes away easily. Drain. Once cold, strip the artichokes of their leaves. Scoop out their chokes, trim the hearts and cut into quarters.
- Heat the oil in a non-reactive saucepan. Add the garlic and onions and fry gently for 2-3 minutes. Add the beans, 4 tablespoons water and the butter. Cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Mix in the cucumber, lettuce and artichoke hearts. Season lightly and increase the heat slightly. Cook, covered, for 3-4 minutes, until tender. Mix in the herbs and serve.