These sweet potato samosas are simple to make and are the perfect party food - they won't hang around for long!
Sweet potato samosas with coriander dip
For the samosas:
1 tbsp groundnut oil
½ onion, chopped
1 tbsp peeled and finely chopped fresh root ginger
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp hot curry powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
100g frozen peas, thawed
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1 tbsp lemon juice
270g filo pastry
50ml ghee, melted or clarified butter
For the coriander dip:
100g green chilli (about 7- 8 large chillies)
40g fresh coriander, including roots
1 tsp ground coriander
6 cardamom seeds (discard pods)
2 cloves garlic, peeled
Juice of 1/2 lemon
40 - 50ml extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of sea salt
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion, ginger and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and 1 tsp of the cumin seeds. Cook for a further 1 minute, stirring all the time, until the spices become aromatic.
2. Add the sweet potatoes, chilli and 50ml cold water, cover the pan and cook for 6–8 minutes, stirring from time to time. Once the potato is cooked and the excess water has evaporated, remove from the heat and stir in the peas, coriander, lemon juice and some salt to taste.
3. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Take one sheet of filo at a time, cut into three strips and brush lightly with ghee. Place 1 tbsp filling slightly off-centre at one end of each strip and fold over the corner to form a triangle shape. Keep folding the pastry, maintaining the triangle, until you reach the end. Brush with more ghee and place on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining filling and pastry.
4. Sprinkle each samosa with a few of the remaining cumin seeds and bake for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
5. To make the dip, place all the dip ingredients except the oil into a food processor with a pinch of sea salt. Blend in bursts for 1 - 2 minutes until smooth but still with some texture, then with the food processor still running, drizzle in oil.
6. Serve the dip in a small bowl alongside the samosas.
- Preparation time: 35 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes to 35 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes - 1 hour 10 minutes
Makes: 18 samosas Serves: dip 4 -6
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon Nov 10 16:11:00 GMT 2014.