This wholesome, chunky soup can be assembled in minutes, and makes a satisfying lunch or supper dish.
Sweet Potato Soup Topped with Sautéed Halloumi and Mixed Seeds
- 3 tbsp chilli-infused olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 2 leeks, trimmed and chopped
- 500g pack frozen Waitrose Diced Sweet Potatoes
- 900ml hot vegetable stock
- 410g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ x 250g pack Cypressa Cyprus Halloumi Lite cheese
- 4 tbsp Waitrose Five Seed Mix, from the home baking section
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the chilli oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the leeks for 5 minutes until softened. Add the sweet potatoes and fry, stirring, for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Tip in the chickpeas and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain the cheese, then dice and pat dry on kitchen paper. Heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan and gently fry the cheese, stirring, for 1 minute. Tip in the seeds and continue to fry, stirring, for a further 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is just beginning to colour.
- Using an electric hand blender or potato masher, blend the soup until the vegetables are crushed but not fully puréed. Ladle into bowls and scatter with the halloumi cheese and seeds. Sprinkle with the parsley and a drizzle of extra chilli oil. Serve with a brown batch loaf.
This soup can be made using canned beans or lentils, instead of chickpeas. Halloumi cheese is ideal for grilling, frying or barbecuing. When cooked, the outside hardens while the inside stays soft.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 44 ratings
This recipe was first published in Thu Mar 01 00:00:00 GMT 2007.