A full-blown sarnie, best served with lime wedges, extra hot pickled peppers and an ice-cold beer.
Toasted cheese and pulled pork sandwiches
4 thick slices crusty white bread
50g unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp smoky chilli paste (such as ancho or chipotle)
3-4 tbsp refried beans
3 salad onions, finely sliced
2 x 80g packs Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients pulled pork shoulder
4 Fragata guindillas (Spanish hot pickled peppers)
4 Fragata pimiento piquillos (sweet Spanish peppers)
4 slices Jarlsberg cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter and set butter-side down. Spread 2 slices with the chilli paste, and the other 2 with the refried beans.
2. Mix the salad onion and pork in a bowl, season, then arrange on top of the chilli paste. Top with the 1⁄2 the guindillas, pimiento piquillos and Jarlsberg. Press the other slice of bread on top, refried bean-side down and butter-side up.
3. Heat a large ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Add the sandwiches and cook for about 2 minutes, pressing them with a spatula, until the underside is crisp and golden. Carefully flip them over and cook the other side until golden. Lay a sheet of baking parchment on top of the sandwiches and weigh them down with a roasting tin.
4. Slide the pan into the oven and cook the sandwiches for about
3 minutes, until the filling is hot and the cheese is melting. Cut each sandwich in half and serve at once.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 0 ratings
This recipe was first published in Tue Jan 31 07:53:50 GMT 2017.