Save to your scrapbook
Traditional roast turkey recipe | Waitrose
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Serves: 8 with leftovers
1 Waitrose 4-6kg Free Range Bronze Feathered Turkey
2-3 fresh bay leaves
1 lemon, cut into quarters lengthways
1 onion, peeled and cut into quarters
450g pack sausagemeat stuffing, optional
50g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
20g pack fresh thyme
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Remove the giblets from the turkey and set aside for the gravy. Tear the bay leaves in half and place in the main cavity along with the lemon and onion pieces.
2. Stuff the smaller neck cavity with sausagemeat stuffing, if using. Pull the skin back over the neck and secure with a cocktail stick. Brush the turkey skin with the melted butter and scatter the thyme over. Cover with foil (tucked around the bird and not over the tin) and roast according to pack instructions, remembering to account for the weight of the stuffing.
3. About 15-30 minutes before the end of cooking time, take the turkey from the oven and remove the foil.
4. Return to the oven and continue to roast until the bird is thoroughly cooked. Insert a skewer into the thickest parts of the breast and thighs: the juices should run clear and there should be no pink meat. If the juices are still pink, return to the oven for 15 minutes before testing again. Check that the sausagemeat stuffing is cooked through.
5. Transfer the turkey to a warm serving dish. Cover tightly with buttered foil, then cover with clean tea towels. Leave to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes before carving.
Typical values per serving:
Nutrition includes stuffing
This recipe was first published in November 2015.