Most of the elements of this dessert can be prepared partly or fully in advance; the finished tarts can happily be reheated as and when you need them. You could also make it as one large 23cm tart.
Treacle tarts recipe | Waitrose
225g brown breadcrumbs (from a fresh, wholemeal loaf with the crusts removed)
½ orange, zest
200g golden syrup
100g double cream
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp bourbon
For the pastry:
200g plain flour, plus extra for rolling
40g icing sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
125g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
1 large egg yolk
2 tsp lemon juice
1. Start by making the pastry. Put the flour, sugar, spice, butter and a pinch of salt in a food processor; pulse to breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk, 2 tbsp ice-cold water and the lemon juice and mix to bring together. Shape into a ball, flatten to a disc, cover with cling film and chill for 1 hour, until firm.
2. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each out on a lightly floured surface to a neat disc, about 0.2cm thick and slightly larger than a 10cm tart case. Carefully line 8 x 10cm deep tart cases with the pastry, trimming off any excess. Arrange the tins on a baking sheet and chill for 20 minutes. Any excess pastry/offcuts can be re-rolled and used to make little stars to decorate.
3. Preheat the oven to 180˚C, gas mark 4. Prick the base of each pastry case and line with scrunched-up baking parchment and baking beans. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 15 minutes, until crisp and pale golden. Remove the paper and baking beans and cook for a further 3 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, tip the breadcrumbs and orange zest into a bowl. Gently warm the golden syrup, treacle and double cream in a small pan until runny and combined, but not boiling. Pour over the crumbs and mix in the remaining ingredients, plus a large pinch of flaky sea salt. Divide between the cases; bake for 15-20 minutes, until set. Cool for 5 minutes, then serve warm with ice cream.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Food magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Food app edition for FREE. Find out more.
- Preparation time: 45 minutes, plus chilling
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes, plus chilling
Makes: 8 individual tarts
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 2 ratings
This recipe was first published in Tue Dec 01 14:58:00 GMT 2015.