1. Preheat the oven to 180oC, gas mark 4. Place the beef in a roasting tin, scatter with the dried oregano, fennel seeds and rosemary. Grind over some pepper and drizzle with a little oil.
2. Cook until desired doneness is achieved for 1 hour 40 minutes for medium (25 minutes per 500g + 25 minutes). Season with salt, then remove the meat from the oven and allow it to rest.
3. Thoroughly wash the spinach and drain. Melt the butter in a large frying pan, then add the spinach and cook until it totally collapses. Drain in a sieve. Flop the spinach back into a saucepan or jug, add the tarragon and blitz with a stick blender. Add a good grating of nutmeg and then stir in the crème fraîche. Season with salt and pepper. Leave to one side for gentle reheating.
4. Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer. Fry the chipped potatoes in 2 batches for 5-7 minutes until golden and cooked through. Gently reheat the spinach.
5. Drain the fries thoroughly then toss in a bowl with salt and the herbs and garlic.
6. Slice the beef and serve with a small wedge of lemon, the creamed spinach and a good pile of fries.
© Copyright Valentine Warner