Enjoy the rich wintery flavours of red wine, chestnuts and tender venison in this hearty casserole. You can make it a day ahead, store in the fridge and simply reheat in a pan before serving with creamy mashed potato or boiled rice to absorb the juices.
Venison and Chestnut Casserole
- 2 x 340g packs Waitrose British Diced Venison
- 2 tsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 300ml red wine
- 300ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 200g jar Sierra Rica Organic Cooked and Peeled Chestnuts
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Pat the venison dry with kitchen paper, then toss the pieces in the seasoned flour. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a flameproof casserole, then add the meat and fry over a high heat until sealed all over. Remove from the casserole with a slotted spoon. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, then fry the onions over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Return the meat to the casserole with the wine, stock and bay leaves, then season and stir thoroughly. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1-1¼ hours or until the venison is tender.
- Stir in the chestnuts and redcurrant jelly and simmer until the jelly has melted. Season to taste, then sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Get ahead: The casserole can be frozen for up to 1 month. Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat gently in a pan for 10-15 minutes until piping hot.
Note: Wash hands, equipment and work surfaces thoroughly after handling raw meat.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 75 minutes to 90 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 35 minutes to 1 hour 50 minutes
Typical values per serving:
4.2% fat per serving
Average user rating Based on 63 ratings
This recipe was first published in Mon Dec 01 00:00:00 GMT 2003.