William is the editor of Waitrose Food magazine
William Sitwell’s perfect spaghetti carbonara
100g Waitrose Duchy Organic Spaghetti
2 rashers Waitrose Duchy Organic Free Range, Dry Cured British Unsmoked Streaky Bacon
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large Waitrose Duchy Organic British Free Range Egg
1 tbsp freshly grated organic Parmigiano Reggiano, plus extra to serve
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Cook the spaghetti according to pack instructions. Drain, keeping 2 tbsp of the cooking water.
2. Meanwhile, cut the bacon rashers into 1cm pieces. Warm a frying pan over a high heat, then add the olive oil and bacon. Cook for 3-4 minutes until crisp and golden.
3. Add the drained pasta to the frying pan. Remove from the heat and crack the egg into the pan. Stir well to coat the pasta, adding the 1 tbsp cheese and reserved cooking water as you mix. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
4. Serve on a warm plate with extra black pepper and the extra cheese grated over. Serve with a green or tomato salad, if desired.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 12 minutes
- Total time: 22 minutes
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating Based on 2 ratings
This recipe was first published in Fri Sep 01 15:22:00 BST 2017.